Wednesday, May 18, 2022

a memory made

While walking "My Beach" in Calella, Spain, I collected more than one hundred pieces of beach glass.  As I picked up the pieces, I began to explore ideas of what to create with them.  I browsed through my photos, drew draft pencil sketches, placed pieces of beach glass on paper, worked at designing a scene and even tested the glue I had. I also experimented with what archival ink would look like around some of the pieces.  I purchased  a  9" x 12" canvas panel which was the perfect size.   It was time to get serious and begin glueing individual pieces of beach glass onto the canvas.  It takes time for the glue to set so I was able to move pieces around to get the look I wanted.  Once all the pieces were in place, I let it sit laying flat for an hour or so.  I then completed the project by doing some outlining with various colours of archival ink.  

This is the memory I made!  It shows the many shades of blue of the Mediterranean Sea.  Where the sea meets the sand I included a palm tree which there are many of in this seaside village.  A wall above the beach gives rise to a lighthouse that watches over the waters of Calella.  There is much vibrant greenery on display and you can see that in the bushes at the base of the lighthouse.  I love fluffy puffy white clouds so included a few.          


I 💗 beach glass!

a small selection of the beach glass I collected


These are photos I took at Calella that I used as a guide for the project.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.