Friday, May 27, 2022

being artsy

I am not ready to let go of how the lifestyle of that seaside village touched me so I have been working at holding on tight.  Sipping sangria and rendering paintings from my pictures has helped keep me there in spirit.  

The inspiration for this 6" X 8" watercolour painting was from the same photos I used to make the beach glass scene that I shared in a prior post.  In actuality, that slope is embedded with the name "CALELLA" surrounded by flowers but I opted not to include that.

This is my rendering of Tossa del Mar, the seaside village along the Costa Brava!  It also measures 6" X 8".  When I do these types of watercolour paintings, I first draw the scene with a Prismacolor Col-Erase Non-Photo Blue pencil.  When I lay the paint, it absorbs the pencil lines.  All my drawings and paintings with regards to Spain are done in a coiled book and it has turned into a wonderful memory journal.
this is my reference photo



Shifting from working with water-colours to drawing with graphite pencils is as easy task.  I just need to pull out a different sketchbook and my tin of leads and I'm ready.  I rendered this project from my favourite site of tutorials.  I need to improve my technique using blending stumps so skin tones and shadows are more even.  When I look at this, I can almost hear a tune!  

 Then it's on to laying shades with coloured pencils on toned tan paper!  





2 comments:

  1. So glad you now have the time to develop these talents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The time is right for all this, right now! Retirement is great!

      Delete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.