Thursday, May 12, 2022

Spain April 19 - May 11, 2022 Food & Drink

The most enjoyment I get from taking photos is when they are of scenery.  On this trip to Spain, I wanted to remember some of the dining experiences so when I thought of it, I snapped shots of food and drinks. Many times the meal was devoured before it even crossed my mind to document it.  The dining was more of an experience than it was just eating out.  We developed a rapport with our waiters, waitresses and some chefs.  A couple of restaurants we returned to a few times.  We were treated like royalty, never rushed, always had to ask for the bill when we were ready to leave, and tipping is not a thing in Spain.  The service was excellent in every way without any expectations of being rewarded for it. Yet, we are Canadian and did the Canadian thing and it was very much appreciated! 
 
my first Sangria
it came with olives, chips and nuts
I got hooked on iberian ham!  It came with a style of bruschetta already with the dressing on it.  Later I learned when bread came bare with garlic gloves and small tomatoes on the side, you brush the bread with the garlic and then with the tomato.  I needed groceries yesterday so purchased the bread, garlic and tomatoes and enjoyed a spanish style snack.   
One restaurant in Calella that we went to a few times, have their own orange and lemon trees in their garden.  They use these for the sangrias they  make and to add as decoration to some dishes. Bridgette the 79 year old owner let us visit her garden.  We learned they make their own olive oil from their olive trees in central Spain.
the garden where the orange and lemon trees grow
We stopped in at the market in Barcelona for a late lunch and beverage.  This food market is something else and we spent hours at it.  Spain is known for a spicy potato dish.  I had it a few times during the trip.  All food pairs well with beer!
iberian ham was the next dish
once again, the bruschetta style bread
while the others had beer and wine, I went for a Sangria
Another restaurant we went to a few times had delicious Sangria.  On this evening our waiter put on a little show so we could see how a proper one is made.   It was on this dining experience where I tried paella for the first time and yet forget to document it.  At the end of our meal, the chef came out to meet us, had a chat with our waiter then put on display seven bottles of various types of shooters.  We each received a shooter on the house before heading back to our home away from home for the night.  
Tapas are the way to go in Spain!
I tried many yet had no idea what lots of them were!
The price of each tapas is represented by the shape of the top of the pick that is in the centre.
chips on a stick at the market in Barcelona
Sangria on my patio
a sign along one of the cobblestone streets in the Costa Brava
cappuccino
the window where you go for take out on a street in Sitges
a glass of wine on my patio before happy hour
each evening from 5 to 7 was happy hour by the pool or inside
two for the price of one
One evening in Barcelona, this was my dinner.  I liked how the fries were in a little basket and the fries along with the burger were on a piece of slate.  It paired nicely with the glass of white and got me in the spirit as we headed off for a nighttime water and light show in Barcelona. 

While in Sitges, I purchased numerous pieces of chocolate of all kinds with intentions of it lasting for my entire visit to Calella.  It lasted one and a half days.  I ordered many tapas, had a piece of flan, ate a gigantic chuck of nougat, tasted dressed nuts of all sorts and thoroughly enjoyed the paella.  All products were locally made.   I cannot remember all the foods I sampled but do remember how delicious everything was.  My thinking was instead of purchasing items to take home that would just sit, I would spend money on food, treats and drinks.  Some of those were bought to take home but they never did last longer than a day once I got them back to my apartment in my home away from home.  I know going forward, I will try my hand at making Sangria, I want to percolate my coffee, I may try to make a paella and the bread, garlic and tomatoes will definitely be a thing for me.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.