Saturday, May 14, 2022

Spain April 19 - May 11, 2022 Montserrat

The drive alone up the mountain to the Benedictine Monastery Santa Maria de Montserrat was quite something.  The road is considered one of the most beautiful serpentine streets of Spain.  Then there are those that hike up of which we saw a few along the way.  Riding a gondola up is another option and then onto the rack railway to go even higher.  Some people visit this nature park for the mountain views surrounding the Monastery.  Montserrat means sawed mountain!  There are hiking trails and climbing sections.  Montserrat is steeped in religious history.  

view as we began walking towards the Monastery which is surround by sawtooth shaped mountains
 view in the direction of Barcelona which is behind that mountain range
seeing structures built into the walls
art work in the walls while strolling about
in front of the Monastery
the funicular that goes straight up
This is the front of the pilgrims Hostel for those that hike up and plan to stay awhile.
wood carving of San Jorge (St George) patron saint of Catalonia




guards at the entrance while Mass is taking place 
a hallway

view of St Michael's cross far off in the distance
a narrow walkway 

Once could very easily spend a day here and not see everything nor cover every trail. The time I spent here afforded me what I wanted and needed.  Being here enveloped me with a feeling that I cannot describe. While the drive up here on that serpentine road gave me shivers, actually being here gave me goose bumps.  When the church bells rang out, my hair stood on end.   You know how there are places you go that take you to a place within, Montserrat is one of those places for me!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.