Monday, May 16, 2022

Forgetmenot Pond & Little Elbow May 16, 2022

It's time once again to carry out a tradition!  The gate opened yesterday and with that being a Sunday, I opted to wait until today to drive along that now opened road that takes me to a place I love, Forgetmenot Pond.  I enjoy seeing the Pond still bearing some ice yet wide open enough to show off reflections of the snow capped mountain peaks.  I got to see that today, plus a whole lot more!

Not far from the turnoff into Little Elbow, I had to stop to let a young moose cross the road.  I waited and watched expecting to see Mom cross too, but that would not be the case, I guess this moose is now old enough to venture alone.

It's times like this that I am thankful to have a great zoom on my camera.  I spotted a brown lump in a field and when I zoomed in this is what I saw.  I wondered was it napping, was she protecting a little one or maybe there will be a little one soon!

As if those early morning gifts were not enough, I arrived at Forgetmenot Pond to see this spectacular sight!  Forgetmenot Pond looked like I remembered it to look at this time of year.  What was different was the Pond was at a very low level, the lowest I have ever seen it.  



I was wishing I brought my hammock, my sketching supplies, fire wood, book, chair, tea and lunch.    Note to self:  plan that for another day, in fact for many other days.  It was very quiet, I saw three other people the entire time I was in the area.

Of course, every time now that I am out anywhere, I play bird nerd!  I had much more success than I was expecting.  Of the other three people I saw, one was a big bird nerd in her camouflage clothing and even camera lens blended in.  
After spending time at Forgetmenot Pond and the trails veering off around it into the woods, I then carried on along the Little Elbow Trail to go a bit deeper into Little Elbow area.  There was a tad bit of snow in areas that was easily avoidable.  I am sure as the day warmed up the trail would become mud.  The spring run-off has not started yet but it could come anytime now.  We need it as the fire conditions are rated at high.






Still less than a week ago, I was walking the beach along the Mediterranean Sea in Spain and I loved that, yet it sure does feel good to be back out playing in my playground!  I think about this spring and the coming summer and what I want to do and where I want to go and what I want to see.  Spring always brings so much promise and I hope for the best for everyone!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.