Tuesday, May 31, 2022

Powderface Ridge East May 31, 2022

The early morning drive along Route 66 is a wake up call to the peace and beauty of nature in the foothills.  I ditched my vehicle where the pavement meets the dirt, geared up, then headed up, almost straight up along a winding, rooty, rocky trail.  I could hear the sound of my breathing, the odd time the tip of my pole met a rock, a tweet here and a chirp there.  I left reality behind and became one with where I was!   

I felt the embrace of the tall trees while ascending through the forest.  When I left the forest behind, it was then that I took the time to "remember to breathe".  It was early enough, damp enough and cool enough that dew drops were still on the crocuses.  It's May 31st and the prairie crocuses were in their prime on this open meadow and grassy slope.    


I spotted one Alpine Buttercup and dozens of Shooting Stars.
There was lots of mud, some ice and sections of dirty packed snow along the last part of the forested trail. In the wide open section before beginning the final push to the summit, lots of snow still remains.  With just a few more sunny, warm days, this will be gone.  
While ascending the last stretch to the top, was when the sky to the east began to offer up a window of blue.  There was not a breeze to be had and the humidity level felt high. The slope and summit were clear of snow.
the summit cairn
I have been on this summit a few times, each of which was early or late season, and have taken my destination shot with the snow covered peaks in the background.  This time I opted for something different, I like the view with the rolling hills and blue in the background.  
Much of what I packed for this hike was not necessary such as spikes, hat, heavy gloves, extra jacket. 
Yet, that's what we hikers do as we have learned from experience and always go prepared, for what ever!
I spent forty-five minutes at the summit enjoying the scenery & serenity and some sipping & snacking.  I was wishing I had a sketch book and pencils with me.  Note to self:  put a small sketch pad and pencils aside with my usual gear.  I took more time to enjoy the sights and sounds on the way down and watched as that blue window began to fill with those white puffy fluffy clouds that I love so much.  
a Gray Jay looking at me as if to say "What are you looking at?"
I like how the forest reflects in the eye of this Spruce Grouse
Each crocus that I saw, sported a few dew drops.  It took getting down and being one with mother earth to capture these photographs.  In some of the drops, I could see the intricate designs inside. There were dozens and dozens and dozens of crocuses there to admire.


While the drive along Route 66 first thing this morning was so very quiet, the return trip was another story.    People were out to savour this gorgeous day just like me.  Good-Bye May!





No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.