Friday, May 13, 2022

Spain April 19 - May 11, 2022 Girona

Two years ago when this trip to Spain was originally planned to go ahead, was when I first heard about Girona.  I googled lots and learned lots after hearing stories from people who had been.  What I came across while googling, inspired me to draw and paint some of the scenes with hopes I would see them one day.  Fast forward two years to when the opportunity was presented to spend some time in Girona, I jumped on board with no hesitation! 

Girona lies on the Onyar River in the foothills of the Los Angeles Mountains, a short distance inland from the Costa Brava.  It is made up of three zones:  the old quarter, the modern section and the residential area.   
Church of Sant Feliu

Cathedral of Santa Maria de Girona
finding the way along many narrow cobblestone walkways and staircases
seeing something around every corner
spring in Girona has everything green
The stone buildings were amazing and they were plentiful, each one having history and a story.  
I did not follow The Game of Thrones but was told this location was where a scene was filmed. 
Many scenes were shot on locations throughout Girona.
scene along a walkway
time to climb another staircase
the store front to a "sweets" shop
a store front along a narrow cobblestone street
While walking along Girona's streets, 
I wondered what it would be like to live in an apartment in the old quarter.  
a promenade 
a map of Girona on the ceiling of the promenade

This was the area of Girona that I was most excited to see!  
It was these scenes I saw while googling, that inspired me to sketch and paint my version of them.   
colourful homes and businesses
very typical to see laundry hanging out to dry
a cafe & store with so much personality
We walked many cobblestone streets and learned that Lance Armstrong lived in an apartment high on the left during the prime years of his cycling career.  This was a perfect time to visit here, not quite prime tourist season so we did not have to share the area with many others.   
Independence Square
crossing the bridge one last time and looking back

I am not a big city girl and while Giorna is a city, it was the perfect size of city for me.  The colour, the weather, the scenery, quiet streets, everything was ideal to make for a wonderful visit.  At some point, I need to put together a blog post for the time spent in Barcelona!  I keep putting it off because I don't know where to even begin!  





 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.