Tuesday, January 26, 2021

chasing rime ice

The term "rime ice" is new to me and I am so enthralled with it!  What I thought was snow, ice, hoarfrost and just plain frost on my walk on Sunday was in fact the phenomenon called rime ice.  Sunday's sightings were not enough so now I am chasing rime ice!  The forecasters state it will not last, yet should be around for the next couple of days.  This phenomenon comes paired with cold temperatures and high windchills which means it is necessary to bundle up in multiple layers and protect your skin.  


Confluence Park  

My preference is less time in the car, more time on my feet so across the street was my destination on this day to witness more rime ice.  While there are no flurries forecasted, it does flurry while this weather phenomenon is occurring.  I captured what I could with my little camera all the while wishing I went with the bigger unit.     



Nose Hill Environmental Park

With a destination in mind where I could continue chasing rime ice, on this day I had to perform a "save the day" act!  While on my way, I drove into a wall of cloud, snow, fog, ice where in a matter of a minute driving conditions became treacherous.  I safely made it to the first turn off and wound my way around back roads to where I did not have to hang on for dear life.  I landed at Nose Hill, my "save the day" location!  The feeling of disappointment not making it to my original destination soon disapated when I began to see the sights.  How sweet they were!



The window of opportunity to see the sights of the rime ice phenomenon will soon close.
While the getting is good, I will get going!
Stay Tuned!



2 comments:

  1. That is so neat & thanks for sharing...never heard of it either! And so glad you made it safe & sound. XOXO Norma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, follow your nose to Nose Hill! Nose Hill definitely saved the day!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.