Sunday, April 11, 2021

Alps to Ocean Virtual Challenge Complete April 11, 2021

After yesterday's 11.2 km crocus hunt, I was left with 17.4 kms to reach the finish line of the Alps to Ocean Virtual Challenge.  My thinking at first was to split the distance and complete it on Monday but when I woke this morning raring to go, I got out the door early to cover a good distance before meeting my sister to share ten kilometres with her.   

I arrived early at Carburn Park to the sounds of birds chirping, a touch of pink in the clouds, the sights of deer nibbling on breakfast and views of reflections galore.   Even though I brought my big camera, my intentions were to just put the pedal to the metal and cover ground.  The distractions though were in abundance and I had to shoot.  

I have a few shots to share:   
a windy tree-lined dirt trail 
reflections 
a male Northern Flicker poking his head out
male and female Hooded Mergansers

My sister arrived and we hit the trail west to Fish Creek Park.  Her on her mission and me with my challenge to complete.  When all was said and done, we both accomplished what we set out to do.  Once I got home and loaded my stats into the program, I received my finishers certificate.
the final statistics

the route across New Zealand from the Alps to the Ocean

I will receive my medal in a couple of weeks.
virtual views from the last stretch of the challenge
the last photo is of the finish line at the end of the pier
the final two post cards 

Completing this challenge by hiking and walking 290 kms over the past six weeks feels like an accomplishment.  I have the need to know I did something worthwhile with my time.  With many doors remaining closed in our world, there is the need to find other ways to receive fulfillment. These challenges have opened new doors and offer much to embrace.  

Where to next!
Stay Tuned!

2 comments:

  1. Well done you! Having read that it was 290 km in 6 weeks I checked my distance for the same and came up with 250 km. Surprised and quite pleased!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen, like always you are making great strides in the distance you cover!

      Delete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.