Wednesday, April 21, 2021

Inglewood Bird Sanctuary April 21, 2021

Today's visit to the Inglewood Bird Sanctuary was the most successful and enjoyable experience I have had there!  It paid to be there early when all the residents were full of morning energy.  It was forecasted to be a most beautiful day and I wondered if the locals sensed tomorrow would be the opposite.  I was first at the parking lot and entered through the gate which had been left open.  

A meander around a loop to enjoy the scenery with the morning light was my intention but not soon into doing that, I became distracted by something large flying about.  It finally settled long enough when I captured this photo of the Red-Tailed Hawk.  I took this as a sign this could be a good day! 
These photos I share here are not in any particular order and not in the order of when I saw the ducks and birds.  I knew the wood ducks had arrived at The Sanctuary and I was familiar with where they hung out.  Surprise surprise look up!  I had never seen a Male Wood Duck high up in a tree before!
shadow shot along the trail
pretty and perfect reflections this morning 
Female Common Goldeneye
American Robin
Canada Goose
Male & Female Common Goldeneye
I watched while they were doing the mating dance but the deal was not sealed.
Male Northern Flicker
I like how his crown is fluffed up!
I was in the right spot at the right time!  
Five others followed along and walked through the water to the other side but did not stop for a drink. This is three of those five.  There were already a few on the other side.  I wondered why they were all rather quickly crossing to the other side.  Once they were all crossed and were up on the bank on the other side, I heard and saw a commotion over there!
Look closely, you will see a coyote with the tail on the left and and the face and nose on the right.  It might help by clicking on the photo to make it large.  The herd of deer chased the coyote through the bushes.  A fellow came along and told me the coyote was chasing a deer earlier. A little while later as I was meandering along, out of the bushes just ahead bolted the coyote, crossed the trail in front of me followed by the herd of deer.  I did have my camera in hand ready for bird shots but the coyote and deer were too swift to secure a shot.  
a White-Breasted Nuthatch
This was where I was looking for the Wood Ducks but instead found a Female Common Goldeneye.

I am learning that I need to just stop and stay awhile in any give spot and witness what is going on.  I am used to moving along but realize I could be missing lots.  I do notice the behaviour of the true birders with the big cameras.  There was so much going on there this morning and all the seasonal residents have still not arrived.  In a couple of weeks the population will have grown with more birds returning for the summer and with new fawns being born.  I will return too! 

2 comments:

  1. Another WOW experience...you always seem to be where the action is!!!! Norma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just so much spring joy on this outing!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.