Saturday, April 24, 2021

Kruger Park Virtual Challenge Progress April 24, 2021

It feels like a slow go out of the gate for this virtual challenge down in South Africa but in reality it has not been.  I have been purposely active nine of the eleven days.  I understand it is best to be active each day but I get lazy at times and just want to be one on one with my sofa or sketch all day.  To the end of April 24th, these are the statistics.  My hope is by the end of April, I will have surpassed the 100km mark.    


The last two times I was "out & about" was while welcoming winter back!   

North Glenmore Park & The Weaselhead
This was not a crocus hunt so when I spotted some under ice and snow, it was a most pleasant surprise.  They needed a little love & care by clearing the snow away.   What was not a surprise was seeing the male Bufflehead and the White-Breasted-Nuthatch. My intentions today were to complete the Reservoir Loop and I enjoyed a beautiful start.  Part way into my outing, I made a snap decision opting for an out and back to avoid wind rain sleet and snow exfoliating my face. 

Inglewood Bird Sanctuary
I made a return trip to The Sanctuary to begin the day lost in birds songs while the snow flurried down.  There were a few others who I shared the trails with.  Seeing them dressed in dirt and forest tones with their gigantic cameras on tripods brought me back to a winter's day a few years back.  On this day a few years back I arrived at the X-C Ski Trail parking lot to see others in their tight black spandex tights with containers of waxes and prepping their skies.  I felt intimidated!  Today I learned I may need a new jacket for bird watching where I can blend in and not stand out in vibrant orange.  I will stick with the camera I have.  I am not sure if this bird interest I am enjoying is just a pandemic thing and will drift by the way side when the pandemic drifts away.    

On this dull day, the colors of the male Wood Duck were much appreciated.  The American Robin was not intimated by my vibrant orange and remained in place while watching me.  I believe this could be the same Red-Breasted Hawk I saw a few days ago.  It looks like the Northern Flicker has twigs in its claws.  The European Starling monitored me from its home in the tree.  I watched this male Bufflehead for quite some time.  He appeared to be antagonizing the Wood Ducks and Goldeneyes.   

virtual vs...
...reality

There are many others from around the world along with me on this journey.  
You can see me between KI and AD.  

Just like before, my pacer is following behind me.  
I am just past the 20% mark which means I planted my first tree on this challenge.  

These are a few of the early sights along the Kruger Park Virtual Challenge Route.  I am finding there is a lot of time on the roadway.  I would prefer to be away from the road seeing sights out in the wilderness but  after doing some homework, I am not sure that will happen for this journey.   

It's onward and upward!  We have a beautiful weather forecast for the coming days which brings a higher degree of motivation to be "out & about".   I'm looking forward to accumulating more kilometres and heading further north along the Kruger Park route.  


4 comments:

  1. I think I prefer North Glenmore Park and the Inglewood Bird Sanctuary to Kruger Park. Go you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to see animals in Kruger Park and keep hoping they will appear!

      Delete
  2. Too bad about the lack of sights in Kruger Park but I think your real life sights are more than making up for it! Norma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep hoping for amazing sights through Kruger Park but the reality of it is my reality has been quite scenic!

      Delete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.