Saturday, April 3, 2021

Horseshoe Canyon Drumheller April 3, 2021

It's been so very dry lately here with a humidity level hoovering around 25%.  While these are not ideal conditions and fire bands are in place already, these are great conditions for hiking in Horseshoe Canyon in Drumheller.  I took a chance and ventured there early this morning.  During these crazy months in our world, Saturday would not be my choice day to go but I went.  I arrived as one other soloist was also just pulling in. The main parking lot was gated and we wondered was the trail open for business.  After parking a bit away in the dirt lot then gearing up, he hiked off and I went shortly thereafter.   
I opted to descend the dirt trail beside the staircase.
view from part way down
The colors of the canyon were beautiful!  
The look of the formations and the fluffy puffy white clouds is so appealing to me.  
It was chilly down here this early and a few layers plus gloves were necessary.
I could not get out of my own way!
The two Canada geese on top of the formation did not fit in! They appeared so out of place!
The dry conditions made for easy climbing.
Some of the sights make me wonder if this is what it would look like on another planet!
It happened again, I can't get out of the way!
Every now and then I could see the other soloist off on top of a formation.  
We had this canyon to ourselves, for now!
My tripod came in handy.
some sights of spring time in the canyon
After quite awhile it began to warm up.  I had covered loads of ground.  I could see other people working their way to the canyon bottom.  Every now and then someone would show up on a summit here, there, then everywhere.  I wandered around and up and down a little longer then began to climb back up to the parking lot.
I opted to stick to the dirt trail rather than the stairs.

As I was working my way back to the top, so many people were just beginning their day here.  I arrived back at the dirt parking lot to see it full.   I needed a few minutes to gear down and snack up before hitting the road to home.  Vehicles waited while I did my thing then one snagged my spot the second I was fully out of it.   I had a sense it would be busy here today as the day went on.  It is the way of our world these days!  

I was thankful to have gone early and had a peaceful experience.
This part of our province is so unique and beautiful.
Variety is the spice of life!
Where to next?

1 comment:

  1. Definitely a unique place to visit, especially at this time of day. Such a shame that fire bans still need to be in place.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.