Tuesday, April 13, 2021

Dinosaur Provincial Park April 13, 2021

Spring is a great time to visit Dinosaur Provincial Park, even more so on a weekday during these crazy times in our world.  I was here last September to camp for three nights when I saw this land like no other at its autumn best.  Well, it is just as beautiful in the springtime with added touches of crocuses and only a dozen other people.  After the two and a half hour drive from Calgary, I arrived to see an empty parking lot.  Before setting off, I savoured a snack, changed into my hiking boots and donned an extra layer, head band and gloves.  It was a fresh cool start in the desert.   

   I started with The Coulee Trail behind the Visitor Centre.  

Signs were posted that some sections of the trail were closed due to repairs needed.  Those sections turned out being two areas where there are stairs. I kept to the open trails, one which lead me to here giving me a window on this world.  That's the Visitor Centre at the left.
Very soon into the hike, I spotted this male Mountain Bluebird which would not stand still. I snapped many shots as it flew about hoping at least one would turn out.  Only one did!  It was the only one I saw all day and it was a great sight to kick of this trip. 
Another thing I spotted very soon along the trail, was a crocus, then another and then another.  They were much smaller than the crocuses in Calgary.  The season may be behind in the badlands.  I tried to capture photos of them with hoodoos and such in the background, that idea did not play out that well.  
It's all about perspective in this photo!  
The whole foreground is the top of a large flat rock right up until the formation.  
Last September I spent lots of time up here watching the sun rise and the sun set.  Today I meandered around for awhile and then grabbed this photo opportunity.  That's me over that.  That is part of the campground at bottom right and today there was one motorhome which you can see in the centre.
dreamy clouds all day
great photo opportunities with the clouds and the badlands
some scenic sights 
After covering The Coulee Trail and checking out the campground, 
I headed for The Cottonwood Loop.  Part of this trail follows along the Red Deer River. 
I have never driven the scenic road loop instead I prefer to walk it.  
There are spots like this you miss if  you choose to drive.  
the colors and the clouds were a perfect pairing
more perfect pairing
stairs leading up from along The Badlands Trail
perfectly aligned
Before heading to my car, I ventured over to where the comfort camping section is.  This was what it looked like.  My understanding is comfort camping is no longer an option at Dinosaur Provincial Park.  It was cut from the budget in 2019.  The wood frames remain with the lawn chairs, fire pits and that's it.  
This is my track showing the route I followed.    

I took my time today covering as much territory as I could along the open sections.  I did not have the long drive back home so there was no need to rush and then hit the highway.  After investing loads of time here, I made my way back to the car, geared down then headed on down the road.    


2 comments:

  1. A full, fantastic day...you timed this trip perfectly. Norma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I better get there while the getting is good!

      Delete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.