Monday, April 19, 2021

Glenbow Ranch (crocus hunt) April 19, 2021

 after the storm
In years past at this time of year crocuses were plentiful at Glenbow Ranch Provincial Park.  My hope was to spot some sporting a sprinkling of snow after the storm.  From the view at the start I knew I was in for some spectacular sights.  With Yodel being closed, I hit Tiger Lily to kick off my visit. This is the entrance to that trail.
view at the bottom of Tiger Lily
The pond has thawed and the birds are stopping by for a visit.  
The visitors this morning were two Canada Geese and a pair of mallard ducks.
calm conditions
The deer were hanging out and running around off the Badger Bowl Trail.
Even well into spring the snow still falls in Alberta.  I scoured what little bit of bare ground there was for any sign of crocuses.  They sprout up in this area but even checking little snow mounds did not reveal a single crocus. 
My bird book tells me this is a Savannah Sparrow, a most common sparrow around here.  I am learning to listen to songs and monitor behaviour to help with the identification.  There were a few of these along the McPherson Trail.
view from Bowbend Trail
I arrived at the junction of Bow Link and Bowbend Trails.  
The crocuses like this area as the sun shines down on here.  
There is lots of melting that needs to take place to let any green or purple show.
There is always something new that shows up when I visit Glenbow Ranch.  Today I saw this plaque at the sun shelter.  Him and I shared many elevator rides coming or going to work where the conversation always revolved around the outdoors.  It was obvious he had a passion for nature. 
The plaque is secured to the railings of the sun shelter.
Here a robin, there a robin, everywhere a robin robin!  
I believe this is a female robin as the colouring is not as bright as other robins.
monitoring me
view from the top of Glenbow Trail
I would say this is a male robin due to the colouring being so bright and beautiful!
view while passing by the visitor centre on my way back to the parking lot

I was unsuccessful in my crocus hunt today!  More importantly, I achieved great success in being one with nature by seeing such pretty vistas, hearing many birds songs and smelling the aroma of spring touched with a sprinkle of winter.  Today's taste of nature satisfied all my senses!


2 comments:

  1. No crocus but still so much happiness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I was done with enjoying snow for this season but I fell in love with it again on this day.

      Delete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.