Monday, April 5, 2021

Bowness Park to Dale Hodges Par April 5, 2021

crocus season is in full swing

I heard rumblings that there had been crocus sightings so I had to go investigate for myself to prove these were right rumblings!  To pair this investigation with covering a good amount of distance, I opted to start from Bowness Park and work my way to the slopes of Bowmont Park from there.  Time went on, lots of distance was being covered, then I found myself at Dale Hodges Park.  I had not been to this park before so landing here was a nice surprise and a treat. 

On the way back from visiting Dale Hodges Park, I kept my eyes focused down and to the side along the trail for any sign of crocus life.  Then the sightings began!  It was a fresh cold morning so the crocuses were kissed with frost.  It is very early season for them right now.  After spotting these, I felt my mission was accomplished and I was ready to have my walk over with, yet I still had a few kilometres to cover to get back to my car.
I, of course, had to admire the birds too.  The feather on the female mallard duck appeared to be permanently in this position.  When I spotted the female common merganser my first thought was you need a hair cut.  There were three robins together that appeared young in age. I knew right away the woodpecker was a downy and not a hairy from what I learned from my last sighting.  It was necessary to refer to my new book to distinguish the last bird is a common goldeneye.    
colourful sights on this Easter Monday

Between the birds migrating to Calgary and the crocuses beginning to live life, 
there's lots of hunting to do as these spring days carry on.  

1 comment:

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.