Wednesday, April 14, 2021

Kinbrook Island Provincial Park April 14, 2021

For a few years visiting Kinbrook Island Provincial Park and hiking the Marsh Trail has been on the back burner until the time was right.  Today the time was right!  It was nice to get to a place I have not been to before.  I was excited for what the day might bring.  Just like yesterday morning it was a fresh cool start which necessitated an extra layer, a hat and gloves.    

The parking lot for the Marsh Trail is right where this sign is.  
Right from the get-go, what was right before my eyes was so appealing to my senses.  
After a few deep breaths I was then lost in every second here.
a muskrat
just like yesterday, once again there were perfect pairings
This Park is a birders place and there are two viewing platforms.  This is the second one.
I saw a few birds and these are three that I captured decent shots of.  I referred to my bird book to identify which birds these are.  The top one is a Western Meadowlark.  My bird book states "A meadowlark's song is like a stream of music being poured from a pitcher."  The bottom left bird is a male Red-winged Blackbird.  I had no success with identifying the third bird.  There are dozens that look like this in the bird book.  I think it is some kind of a sparrow.  
scenery along the way
section of trail between the marsh lakes and Lake Newell
Along this section,  I spotted a brown lump in the green grass on the edge of the trail.  I was quite certain it was not a mound of dirt and proceeded with caution.  I could see it was a porcupine.  I zoomed in quite a bit to capture this photograph.  At this point I was three quarters of the way into the hike, it was a loop and I was not turning back.  I veered to the left downslope a tad and worked my way through a marshy damp area making a wide circle around the porcupine.  
shadow shot
sun glistening and creating stars in the water
I arrived at the Kinbrook Campground and went to the part of it that sits right on Lake Newell. 

After leaving the campground there is a short section along the road that leads back to where I started the day.  This is my track showing the route that I followed.   I thoroughly enjoyed what this day brought.  There was no one else savouring the sights while I was here.  I imagine when camping is in full swing, this place would be busy.  

I wonder what an autumn day here would look like?


3 comments:

  1. Another perfect spring day (& I think this place would also be a perfect spot to spend a fall day). Norma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may make it a fall camping trip!

      Delete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.