Friday, April 16, 2021

Powderface & Prairie Creeks Loop April 16, 2021

With a bluebird sky day forecasted and a positive double digit high teen temperature paired with it,  chores & errands would have to wait for another day.  It has been some time since I savoured scenery of the foothills kind.  I did not have a long drive in me so ventured out to the Elbow Valley area to hike the Powderface Creek - Prairie Link - Prairie Creek Loop.  It was on the early side yet with the sun already up.    

From my car to the gate to the Powderface entrance, it was clear of ice and snow.  At the trail entrance was when it was obvious spikes were going to be necessary and they were for the majority of the hike.  There was still lots of snow along the Powderface Creek Trail. It was nice to see the snow was still clean after the recent fall.  
Sections of the trail were sheer ice and lumpy from freeze thaw freeze.  
From experience, I knew I should go earlier rather than later to avoid slush and mud.  
The entire time I heard the birds although I did not see them.  It was not until I reached the Prairie Creek side that I was able to spot them.  The sun was up, it was warm over on this side, there was less ice and snow and what was there was beginning to turn to slush and mud.  I did watch my footing but was more interested in the birds.  This is a gray jay, otherwise known as a whiskey jack or a camp robber. This one did watch me and flew closer to me at times....
.....but this one stayed in the tree trying to hide behind branches.  
It was interesting to see the belly from this angle.  It looks so fluffy and soft.   
This is a female downy woodpecker.  It did not have the red patch on the back of the head.
like hiking through an archway

By the time I neared the end of the trail, my boots and spikes were coated with mud.  I veered off trail a bit into the snow swooshing along coming out the other end cleaned up.  I have lots more Elbow Valley time left in me especially when the gate opens in a month and I can get to Forgetmenot Pond.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.